Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Good Times

That's me, on the right, in my new dress.


It had a velvety sort of material, tiny little flowers, in shades of Early Eighties Brown.
Gorgeous collar, don't you think?
My hair, curly and blonde, refused to grow and I desperately wanted long hair.
I think it's before we built the pool.
When my dad got sick, I often thought of this photo.
I remember it vividly:  We were having a barbecue with uncle Tom, his daughters Bolly and Janine, his wife Janie.
My brother and mom.
My dad was cutting pieces of roasted steak, which we dipped in Aromat, and he patted me on the head.
That barbecue in the background was wonderful, it is still in the garden at my parents' house.
Built by my dad.

When I look at the photo, it doesn't look like my dad (in blue), but I clearly remember that attention:  feeling loved and like my dad was proud of me.

We had a talk with Son#2's wonderful teacher yesterday afternoon.
It's going well-ish with him at school, but his confidence is super low.
She suggested Judo as a possible solution.
Apparently, it helps confidence and motor skills to develop, both things that he needs.

I desperately want my boys to have confidence and to leave them knowing that I am truly proud of them, but I'm afraid I've done my own part in knocking that down.
Perhaps that constant guilt is just part of parenting.
Deep sigh.


.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing the best you can. As did your parents.

    Big Brother here is doing kungfu, I have no clue if it really builds his self confidence, but to be able to say "I know kungfu" in class sounds super cool :-) We do notice he loves going there, esp. afterwards when he has apparently gotten rid of tons of (negative) energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roos for the advice about kungfu. It does sound cool :)
    It'll be good for Son#2 to do something where his big brother is NOT involved - he tends to hide behind him, lets him make all the decisions... Boys. Deep, deep sigh.

    ReplyDelete