Monday, January 13, 2014

Abnormal, the New Normal

We actually had a good weekend for a change.
Not enough sleep, but nonetheless, with the coming of our new Volvo, the rest of the weekend was glorious.

All 5 of us bundled into the new car on Saturday, to drive to the husband's family's annual get-together, smiles plastered on our faces.
It feels strange to an einzelganger like me, to belong to a group and to be accepted there.
The kids had fun, the husband had fun.
Hell, even I had fun.
Son#1 and #2 found an uncle's motorcycle helmets and spent the afternoon prancing around in them, much to the delight of the elderly aunts.
Son#3 with his angelic curls, stole the show by calling everyone 'losers' (which he learnt from his brothers).
My mother-in-law phoned later to tell us that our boys were a hit.
Old people seem to be easily pleased.
Sigh.

'Now take your drugs & make my eggs!'  wow.

Now it's Monday morning again, and I'm almost off to my annual work review with my boss.
My body is stressed, I can feel it in my tense shoulders and a constant headache, but my mind less so.
I'm actually feeling fine.

I've been thinking a lot about my definition of 'normal' lately.
I'm not sure if there really is a definition, and if there is, that it is utterly arbitrary.
My normal ain't your normal.
My kids are normal - my normal - and interesting creatures they are.
My normal keeps changing.

What I do realize though, is that I like my kind of normal.
And in a country where I experience pressure to conform all the time, where people all fit into neat boxes, I appreciate this realization even more.
I like me just fine, thankyouverymuch.

.

2 comments: