Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tum-tum-te-dum

It's early Sunday morning and we hear lots of rain outside.
I've been awake since 2h30 this morning, Son#1 and #2 slept on dutifully by my side.
The husband went to friends' last night (his spot in bed quickly usurped), and #1 and #2 and I watched Rapunzel on DVD.
Riveting.


I have to clean the kitchen, cook breakfast, clean the rest of the house for the husband's soon-to-be-divorced brother and his son, who are coming over this afternoon.
The big boys are going fishing (without a fishing license!!!  Criminals!!! Gotta love/hate the Nether Lands with its gazillion useless rules, because lo and behold, if we let innocent kids fish without a €100 license each, pretty soon ALL the fish will be gonegonegone - like we'd eat anything that came out of this water - feeling a bit cranky today).
Son#3 and I will take a nap.

The husband spoke to the old couple who live across us on the dyke yesterday, to ask if they could perhaps move their car a wee bit forward, so we can park diagonally across from them on our side of the road.
This way, we wouldn't have to cross the busy road with 3 unpredictable young kids.
The old hoot wouldn't even open the door, and spoke in aggressive terms to my civil husband through a hatch.
In short, they don't care if our kids die, they simply won't give.
People are amazing creatures.  

The husband saw this as a kind of personal failure - but that's not what this is:
People fail in how badly socialized they are.
In not being emphatic.
In not being a team player (to use shoutology, which is just a lot of hot air slung around in the form of words).

But we have bigger fish to fry.
My dad is not doing well.
His calcium levels are up again (we think, it's getting tested on Monday morning), he is confused, he can't really see anymore, and is almost completely deaf.
Where are the limits of what is dignified in death and dying?
A friend of my parents' told my mother yesterday that she must forgo the radiation for my dad's eye.
That it's just a small part of a very big picture right now.
It feels horrid and unreal to think that my father will probably die before the month is out.
The only thing he is constantly aware of, is my mother.
If that's not a testimony to true love, I don't know what is.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment