Monday, October 14, 2013

Quick visits and Quicksand

My friend Sandra came over with 2 of her 3 kids this morning.
We had coffee galore and the boys ran around with weapons of all kinds, walkie talkies and handcuffs.
Both Sandra and I were both shot down in cold blood, despite sticking 'em up when told to stick-'em-up.


Earlier, I phoned the pathologists in South Africa to make sure that they were planning on testing my dad's calcium levels as well this morning, and cancelled his radiation appointment for tomorrow.
I'm afraid that he's been so weak and unconscious really since Friday, that getting him anywhere right now is not possible.

Yesterday, my mother and I spoke about easing my dad's suffering, not only physical suffering, but the mental and emotional suffering as well.
It's hard for my mother:  When do you stop treating my dad??  
He's indicated that if he could opt for euthanasia, he would, but this is not an option in South Africa.
My mother is fighting my father's approaching death as much as she can, trying to get him treated for any new problem that crops up.

The husband's aunt died a few years go - she opted for palliative sedation, as she knew she had trouble letting go of life.
Wish my dad had that option as well.
My friend Sandra's dad also opted for palliative sedation when he passed away a few years ago, guilt-ridden though, as he was a devout catholic.

My mother wants to try and fight for my dad's health and well-being as much as she can.
There must be no regrets later, and I understand that.
I understand you Mom, for wanting to fight, and Dad, you will never read this, but I understand your being tired of all this crap now.
I respect it.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment