Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A good way to start the week

A long walk along the beach, stopping for the views.
The nothing-ness of it is breathtaking.
 
 
Lighthouses and calm seas.


The best husband in the Universe, who bought coffee and a small lunch, while we sat in the sun and listened to the inebriated talk of drunk elderly Belgian people.

 
And now here we are again, Tuesday morning at work.
 
My dad is holding on but feels despondent and tired.
The medical costs of having cancer in South Africa have proven insurmountable: 
my parents' precious nest egg is now depleted and empty, their medical fund exhausted.
Another thing I lose sleep over.
 
Yesterday, when we walked along the beach, the husband and I were struck again by the insignificant-ness of our existence.
Long long after we and our problems have turned into flecks of dust,
the sea will still be there. 
There will still be wind and beach and birds and new people with new problems and worries.
 
I had a long talk with my boss this morning, and then with a colleague with whom I have a special bond.
It's not often one comes across someone so very like oneself.
Small miracles for small people.
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment