Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Prudence above all else

Being the mostly Cash-Strapped Christmas, the only purchase I'll be making for the festive season will be a chicken for the Non-Vegetarian Husband, and a loaf of bread.
The children have been informed that there will be no Magical Gift-filled Sleigh visiting our house this year, and that's a good thing.
Screw you, Consumerism.
We have other plans.


 I did actually buy 3 gifts:  3 DVDs for one measly euro each at the pharmacy of all places, and the husband got free children's books at the petrol station every time he filled up his car, so there will be books and DVDs.
That's it.

The boys found my old squirrel-hole for useless gifts late yesterday afternoon, and unearthed 2 cheapskate viewfinders and a Playmobil figurine.
I was saving those for a rainy (desperate) day.
My biggest gift will be the fact that we are having Christmas dinner at the in-laws, meaning no expensive groceries or trying to cook if you can't, and entertaining which surely will require more practice on my part before it is satisfactory.
Phew. 

Prudence.
I strive towards the Cardinal Virtues if I can.
But mostly I can't.
See, I'm not Catholic.
Quit when you're ahead I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment