Friday, December 6, 2013

C'est Le Weekend: Hamba Kahle Madiba & Sinterklaas


Yesterday, Sinterklaas came, conquered 3 boys with lots of (cheap-o) gifts, and left again.
Halle-bleeding-lujah.
I can honestly vouch that Sinterklaas & PMS don't go together.
Not in the least.

Then, this morning I looked at the news and saw that Mandela had died last night.  
I was never a great fan - he ordered bombings in the 1980s after all;  the military wing of the ANC, which Mandela had founded, performed necklacings with burning car tires (of which I saw a video in the late 1980s at a friend-with-a-father-in-the-secret-services' house - it made me physically sick), torturing dissidents in Angola - doesn't that make him a terrorist??
In his later years - post-prison, he became a bit of a sweet pussycat, as most men do.
And he wrote some nice things, meaningful quotes.
Every life has merit.

The only thing I worry about is the fragile peace that exists in South Africa, and whether it will continue now that Mandela has died.
In Africa, tempers and hatred flare up quickly.

Here the weather has taken a turn towards Winter.
It produces beautiful sunrises though.


The boys only went to school at 10 this morning, as per the school's instructions.
Son#2 has to go to swimming lessons this afternoon, and #1 to rugby tonight.

Tonight, Sinterklaas is leaving again for Spain (praise our lucky stars).
Hamba Kahle, Sinterklaas.
And Hamba Kahle, dear reader.
Hope it will be a good weekend.

.

2 comments:

  1. We too cheered a big fat hurrah for Sinterklaas leaving :-)
    Thank you for commenting, I am so sorry to hear about your father. I read here a while ago and then you were in the midst of the hospital horrors...
    All I can think of when I read your words is, it's okay. It's okay now and it will be okay.
    Sending you oceans of love from Amsterdam, because it sounds to me like you could use some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring tears to my eyes! Thank you Roos, and lots of love coming your way too!

    ReplyDelete