Monday, January 16, 2012

Use it or Lose out

My mother and I are connected in a strange way.  We often have the same thoughts even though we live 14 000 km apart.

This past weekend, my parents held a lunch for about 14 people.  My dad built a table, my brother cooked, my mother decorated and let her creativity rip.  Afterwards my mother said she couldn't believe how well it all went (and they never entertain anyone) and that her initial fear was only because she didn't have the confidence to do it.

You must understand:  we are a people with low self-esteem, always stepping back for others.  Too nice.  Thinking we are Natural Born Nitwits.  It's a blooming disease.  

While I was thinking about turning forty in 2 years' time, and how I feel that my life could have been so much more interesting, how I need to tell my boys that they need to enjoy life, use their talents, be themselves and be free, my mother was thinking the exact same thing.  Strange.

Because the truth is this and it's really very simple at the end of the day:  You either use your talents and be yourself, or you will lose out.   That's a certainty in life.  Like death.


And I can whine about my years lost in a haze of life and laziness, or I can pull up my socks and try my damndest every single day to improve my life from now on.  Whether my life will continue for 50 more years, or for a week, or until 23 December 2012.  It's arbitrary, really.




This weightloss-thing is a step in the right direction.  I've wanted to lose weight for a while now, I already feel so much better.  Why postpone?  Why keep living with a feeling of being unsatisfied about the way I look and feel?  Why, if I could change it?

Change is scary.  Very scary.  But it's also easier than I think.

Baby steps this week.  

Wishing you lots of baby steps in the right direction for your life these next 7 days. 







No comments:

Post a Comment