Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The need for travel during a mid-life crisis

Speaking of the lottery, a friend of mine won the lottery over New Year's.  Together with her neighbourhood, they won 20 million big kahunas, right here in Breda.  
She needs it:  newly divorced, sick, 2 kids.  
Someone has to win it.  Lucky, huh?

Meanwhile, with not much money, I'm trying to organise a break for the 5 of us in February.  We need a change of scenery.  Fast.  

A nagging discontent has gripped me the last few weeks, and try as I might, throwing positivity at it doesn't make it disappear.   

I sometimes find myself not even being happy for the fortune that befalls others (abovementioned case in point).  
I'm not like this, you know.  
Disappointed in myself and my reactions. 

I realise the need for a mid-life crisis:  One needs to evaluate one's chosen path and whether one wants to continue along this way.  This is necessary.  But it can suck.

In my twenties, up to my early thirties even, I had a firm belief that I could do anything.  We could go anywhere.  
But then a shift occurred.  
We had kids.  
Experienced lows and happiness.  
You have a mortgage, a car, a job that makes sure you can go into a supermarket and buy basic foodstuffs.  
That nasty status-trap...  
And you stick to these things because by hook or by crook, you don't want your quasi-hippie attitude to impact negatively on the 3 boys running around your house.  
And you definitely don't want to crawl back to friends and family with your tail between your legs and your pride underfoot from your hovel in Tarifa where you had it really good but couldn't make a living to support a family of 5.  

 


Right now all I want is to get away for a while.  One needs to travel and get away during a crisis.  Travelling gives perspective.  Room to breathe again.  

Nothing wrong with running away from your problems.  They'll still be there when you get back, as Ladybird Johnson once said.


Have suitcase and full fuel tank, will travel.  


Just looking at all these places we could go to, makes me happy.  

It's not the destination that counts, it's the whole process of getting there that can be simply delicious.





No comments:

Post a Comment