Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My dad's Green Bean & Blue Cheese recipe

Did I mention that my parents can cook great food?  Or that my brother is a fantastic chef?  Shame, isn't it then, that when I moved to Europe at the age of 26, I still couldn't cook.  
Had to survive on crackers, cottage cheese, peanut butter and Granny Smith apples when I first moved to London.  Great weight-loss tool though:  I was thin as a rake.



This recipe is one my dad uses all the time, but I've simplified it simply because I don't have all the ingredients in the house.  Easy, cheap as can be and delicious.  Perfect for our salmon dinner tonight as I have an immensely busy week back at work.  Sigh.  And, FYI:  we never did get around to cleaning the house after all...


Divine Green Beans with Blue cheese

Ingredients:

500g of frozen green beans
100g of Danish Blue cheese
small knob of butter


Method:

Bring unsalted water to the boil
Cook the beans according to instructions (about 8 minutes)
Crumble the blue cheese

When the beans have cooked, drain & then rinse under cold water
(preserves the bright green colour)
Put the butter in the saucepan
Add the beans
Throw the blue cheese in
Close the lid for about 5 minutes.
The blue cheese will melt.
Mix well and munch!

You could also add some chopped walnuts and even some bacon.
Goes great with just about everything!



.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm... one day when I eat actual food again I shall give this a try! J just loves blue cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete