Sunday, March 2, 2014

It's a Carnaval out there

Here in the southern part of the Nether Lands, it's Carnaval again.
The time of year where we spend exorbitant amounts of money on silly suits and all the shops are closed, because the local population, far and wide, is too bloody drunk to work.
Well, theoretically.



This year, a budget-friendly carnaval.
Son#2 got a new Spiderman suit, his Superman suit was too riddled with holes and far too small.
Son#1 got a new black t-shirt, and went as Batman with an old cape we had in the house.
This was quickly dumped at school, being deemed too childish by the kids in class.
Son#3, thank God, has hand-me-downs and refuses to wear silly suits anyway.
Sigh.

We've been quietly busy.
The weather is glorious, the husband worked in the garden, and I have a strange energy to start cleaning stuff.
Not that I'm acting on it, but the intention is there.

Son#1 and #2 are off school this week, and we need somewhere to go.
Somewhere free.
Decisions, decisions. 

My mother is traveling to Cape Town tonight, sleeping in a hotel tomorrow and back again on Wednesday.
A fervent hope that all her documents will be accepted so she can come visit us.
We need to be together.
Yesterday marked 4 months since my father passed away.  
Only 4 months.
And I needn't mention it I think, but I will anyway:  It is still not real.
Will never be.


.

2 comments:

  1. Somewhere free = Ikea. No doubt (the perfect opportunity to get yourself some cheap storage boxes. Who knows if the intention continues :-P)

    Keeping my fingers crossed all works out with your mother's travels!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea - we might go Ikea-hopping, try different Ikeas in different cities. I once went on a McDonald's tour through Paris, which was lovely come to think of it.
      But I think if I buy one more storage box, there might just be divorce in my future!
      (Just had to fix my reply - I'm making the most atrocious spelling/grammar mistakes lately!! Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!!)

      Delete