Saturday, August 17, 2013

Marie Curie

Marie Curie once said that nothing in life is to be feared, only understood.
Well, she understood radiation and x-rays, and eventually died of leukemia, caused by all that radiation at 66 years of age.



Mmmmm.
My dad is still in hospital, very nearly 5 full weeks.
He's just completed 5 days of radiation on his left leg and hip, a heavy dose.
When I spoke to him this morning, he sounded tired.
Says the radiation makes him nauseous and pooped.
Hang in there, darling dad.
Just keep hanging in there.

Here at home, peace reigns.
Son#2 has gone to his paternal grandparents.
Son#1, who would have bloodywell guessed, misses him terribly.
Son#3 remains wonderful.
Sigh.

The builder is here, and we're hoping he'll finish up his work today.
He starts the chimney, then continues with the window, then a wall in the playroom - but never finishes anything, it seems.

The husband is off to see Randy Newman in Antwerp tonight.
I'm going to bed early, with Son#1 who is scared of sleeping alone.
Sigh.

Work is gnawing at the back of my mind, and more prominently, a colleague, who happens to be the coordinator for our team of lecturers.
She didn't greet me on Tuesday at work - just looked at me, then walked away.
She gave me a not-so-good assessment for my annual work assessment this year, in spite of the fact that she hadn't spoken to me for over a year and a half.
She didn't reply to my emails on a too-full-workload just before the summer holiday either.
Methinks she's miffed with me.
It bugs me, but on the other hand, she has a job to do as well, and she doesn't do it by ignoring my emails or writing inaccurate assessments of my work.
I need to eliminate the emotional side of it, and focus on the facts, but it sucks if someone's angry with you.
I'd like to look everyone in the eye, and sincerely wish them well, despite possible differences of opinion.  
But not everyone feels this way.
Deep sigh.

I think it would be easier to work and NOT deal with people, but I'm starting to doubt whether such a job exists.
Teaching is quite the opposite.
It's all about people.
Sigh.
Sigh sigh sigh.

There are bigger fish to fry.
There is a bigger picture.
And my dad is the star player.


.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment