Friday, August 2, 2013

Attack of the Killer Midges & a trip to visit city-farm-life

Out of sheer boredom, beautiful trips are born.
One moment, I was sniffing around on the internet looking for a petting zoo in the neighbourhood, and the next moment, we were at a train station, waiting for the train to take us to Dordrecht.


We waited.
And waited.
The train was delayed, and the midges took this golden opportunity to eat us alive.
They were everywhere.
It's now about 5 hours later, and I can still find midges on me.

The Weijzigt Urban Farm was extremely easy to find, right next door to the station.
Nice playground, and the boys immediately got an ice cream each.
For free!

We looked at all the animals, and Son#2 insisted on giving this Lakenvelder cow a 'cow massage'.
Not sure that the cow was impressed.
Sigh.


We moved through the 'park' - for lack of a better word.
Geese, cows, ducks, pigs, donkeys, goats.

When we were finished the boys (and I) got yet another ice cream, again for free, from the organisation itself.
They had some kind of special day - handing all the kids vouchers for free juice, candy, chips, cookies and a small gift.

Then things got fantastically interesting because the fire brigade showed up, and started spraying all the kids with water.
Super.
Son#2 was soaked to the bone - matted, wet curls and pants.




Happy.
Son#3 was slowly expiring from the heat. 
Even my camera went wonky from the heat.

Then the swings, where the moment I looked around for Son#3, he walked into the retreating swing Son#2 was sitting on, knocking Poor Thing #3 off his feet, and flat on his back.
Sweet bunny, he cried terribly. 
Will have to watch him for concussion, methinks.

Then, another short walk into the city park next door, lots of seemingly hopeless men and down-on-their-luckers.
Son#2 chased the wildlife around and then insisted on going back to the urban farm to pet the goats.
Mmmmmm.

You see him thinking:  How should I approach this?


 His brother, scared to death.



 Aaaaaaah, here he is with his favourite goat.
Our little Goat Whisperer.



Now we're home.
We're lying low for a bit. 
I have to start cooking beans in a minute, and I don't feel like it.
And I still have bills to pay, and I don't like that either.
Sigh.

But I phoned my mom, and that was lovely.
And Son#2 just gave me a fat kiss.
And then swore.
Sigh.
Long sigh.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment