Thursday, July 19, 2012

Villa Augustus

Recently, I read an article somewhere on a place called Villa Augustus, almost smack bang in the center of Dordrecht, which is about 20 minutes from our home.
Together with my parents and the boys, the split second decision was made to go, so we drove to Dordrecht and boy oh boy, was it worth it.


Lovely.


 
It has a HUGE market garden, restaurant, a shop where you can buy crockery and veggies straight from their soil, a bakery and even a hotel.


Enormous grounds, all orderly and well-kept, edible things growing all over the place, not struck down by disease like some of my edibles, and a lovely cafe and restaurant.
When (not if) the big lottery bucks come my way, I'd like a garden just like this.  
What a dream of a place.

Pity about Son#2 running rampant in the restaurant though.
Could have throttled him, the little monkey.  Bless the creator of the tiny playground on the side of the building.




The whole place seems as though someone's been allowed to let all their creativity rip and They Had A Ball.  

Villa Augustus even has evening soirees in the summer months, string quartets, the works.

Bought nice odd-coloured tomatoes, French varieties too, which we'll be having in a salad tonight.  Yum yum, with basil.  And courgettes, with attached flowers.

I feel decidedly like Arnold Schwarzenegger when I say this, but it's true:  I'll be back

.

No comments:

Post a Comment