Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Latin Alphabet

26 Letters that describe, quantify, qualify, add value to, explain, show effect and emotion, and contain our world and how we think of it.

And it just so happens that I found a small, short piece on the origins of the Alphabet in the newspaper this morning.  
Quelle coincidence.
As with so many things - the Greeks developed it around 800 BC from the Hieroglyphs, put it in the order as we know it today, and, together with the Roman Empire, it spread across the globe.

 

That is all this world boils down to.  26 Letters that give us our ability to describe this universe, explain science and our thoughts about it.
Did things exist before we could name them?  Do they exist because we have a name for it?
I have so many questions in my mind, they cause a sort of a 'white noise', and I struggle to formulate my questions into words and sentences.  
Must be the flu. 
But there is an underlying structure to all things - I'm really enjoying Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance, as it explains these things for nitwits like me.  And if you understand the whole, then you can understand the parts.
Right now I'm on a quest to break everything down into parts of a whole.

Pity my copy of 'The order of things' (Barbara Ann Kipfer) is packed away for the Big Move next week.  



So many things to know, so little time.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment