Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Rest in Peace, dear Nelson

Sometime during the night, Nelson, our feral-ish cat, was hit by a car.
The nasty old farts across the road knocked on our door at 8 a.m. and asked if it was our cat who had crawled underneath their car, and died there.
It was our Nelson.


 I feel heartbroken.
Nelson was brought home 14 years ago when the husband had given me his credit card, told me to go buy 'something nice' for myself, and I came home with a cat.
Nelson was my trusty companion in a time of my life when I was just in the early throes of immigration, sad and alone and foreign in a foreign country.

Now the house feels emptier - a soul that was here is gone.

Son#2 and I drove to the animal cemetery and organized Nelson's cremation.
Her fat furry tummy was still warm, her paws cool.
Rest in peace, my friend.

Today is 6 months since my dad died.
 And tomorrow, the husband and I are going to Portugal, but right now, I can't muster enthusiasm for it.

.

2 comments:

  1. Putting my arms around you from afar. This simply sucks.
    Let the Portuguese sun warm you!!!

    ReplyDelete