Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Entities



Precious.
It also goes for complaints.
The husband and I are trying to whinge less.
I've noticed that once we verbalize our stresses, they become like extra people we have to drag along.
Instead of those crap moments in our lives just being momentarily crap (being uber-zen here), they end up being these forces that need to be dealt with on top of all the rest of the stuff.
And they were just moments.
Moments pass.

The complaints rarely change:
No sleep, pain, naughty kids, crap at work, chores to do.
We seem to be non-innovative in the complaints department.

And then tonight I watched an interview with Douglas Rushkoff about the invasive and pervasive influence of technology, and how our attention is vied for by large corporations.
Also that we have a choice to choose either technology or real interaction.

I remember when I was in South Africa in November: I had no internet or mobile phone for a fortnight and how liberated I felt.
I could just BE with my mom and Son#3.

At work, we have email, a digital area with lesson material, mobile phones, Linkedin, and we use Facebook to communicate with students.
At home it is Facebook again, email, Pinterest, mobile phones (I have 2!!) and Instagram.
Did someone like my photos? My status update on Facebook?
How many congratulated me on my birthday this year?
All this leads to an empty existential dilemma:
I only exist and matter if others say I do.

And then I whine for a simple life.
Bwahaha.
Not forgetting this blog which has become a Whine Outlet, giving me a digital diary of my own despair.
I think I might need to shut up for a while.
Simplify.
Chuck stuff, people and my long list of things to do.
Sounds good to me.
And that, dear reader, means that I may be gone for a while.
Or not.
We will just have to see how that goes.




.

4 comments:

  1. It's up to you - and it has always been up to you.
    But I surely know the feeling! I've lost a lot of blog readers lately and somehow that's not as "fine" as I told myself it would be. Stupid. Childish. And so pointless, to look for validation anywhere outside yourself.
    Take care and enjoy your dive into simplicity :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss your daily rantings...(makes me feel like I am not so alone in this crazy world). Do what you need to do my dear, simplify (or not), just be happy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elma! Turns out I'm back after all... Cue Michael Jackson, friend to children: You are not alooooone! xxxx

      Delete