Friday, April 25, 2014

C'est Le Weekend: Gloom and Doom

The school holidays are starting today at noon.
I bought soil and Hostas and Buxus Sempervirens and Rosemary yesterday.
My mother killed the snails, fended off the spiders lest I freak out, and we cleaned up the shady corner under the pear tree.
I mowed the lawn, trimmed the hedges.
There is something intensely gratifying about working with plants, outside, sticking one's hands in the earth.


The weekend looms, luring my mother and I to Antwerp on Saturday, not a kid in sight.
I cannot wait.
The husband is busy with work, and in less than a week's time, the 2 of us will be flying to Portugal for 5 long nights.
But it is always strange how a holiday is stressful too.
Or I'm just screwed up.
Consider all possibilities, methinks.

Mostly I need sun and heat.
Both in copious amounts. 
And the bloody laundry and dishes that have been piling up all week, clumps of cat hair and dust and the mountains of unsorted toys, make me want to get in the car and drive south until my credit card stops working, settle there, and start again, pretending to be a mute so I won't have to talk to anyone.

At work, I'll need to organize a new office.
I'm not happy where I am now.
But that's next week's problems.

.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment