Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fudge if you dare

Curse the day that I found this recipe in my Jamie Oliver magazine.

There is another tin of condensed milk in my kitchen cupboard, 
and I know how to use it.... 


Unfortunately a bit of sweet richness never scared me off, so I'm prone to scoffing an entire batch of fudge if no one is watching or checking up on me.

This is a ridiculously easy fudge recipe, a Jamie Oliver original!
I've added sea salt as per Jamie's recipe - it contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the fudge.

NOTE:
Always be careful when making fudge - it is incredibly hot and can burn the living daylights out of you.  Some handy words of advice:  Don't lick the spoon...

Not recommended for making together with kids!

STUPENDOUS FUDGE

Ingredients:

1 tin of condensed milk
sea salt
1 tin of caster sugar
&
line an oven dish with some baking paper
anything with a bit of an edge all around)


 Method:

Simply tip the tin of condensed milk into a heavy pan. 
When you've scraped out all the condensed milk, fill the tin with caster sugar and add to the condensed milk.

Heat slowly and keep stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
When the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up a bit.
Keep stirring.
The fudge will start forming darker clumps.
This is normal!
Just keep stirring.
Add some sea salt and stir.
Pretty soon the condensed milk starts turning dark all over.
When the colour is similar to that of baking paper, then it is ready.
This could take anything from 10-15 minutes.
Carefully tip out the fudge into the lined oven dish/baking tray.
Spread out to fill the dish.
While it is cooling down, start cutting into pieces - you will need to do this a few times.

Let cool, store in an airtight container. 
Enjoy!

PS:  the crumbs are great with ice cream (but I usually eat those before we get a chance to even buy the ice cream)!




.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, how I wish I did not see this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never ever be able to walk past a can of condensed milk and not feel its pull...

    ReplyDelete