Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lessons in Self-mutilation

Let me shortly summarise my appearance today:

On my left hand, I have managed to cut off the tip of my thumb with a cheese shaver.  I don't own any other plasters, so I've had to resort to children's plasters from the Ikea.  Effective but humiliating.






My right hand has a black index fingernail and very swollen and painful index finger, because I managed to slam my hand in the car door last night after I came back from trying to donate blood.  It is a pulsating pain and all-encompassing.

Paracetomol and Ibuprofen are running a relay race:  Every three hours another painkiller takes over to manage the (considerable) discomfort.

My mother's words, 'No good deed goes unpunished' reverberates in my ears... (and it turned out I'm not even allowed to donate blood as I've had blood transfusions myself).  

Good deed in vain.


Furthermore, I have two red eyes after 
a) crying like a baby last night after slamming aforementioned hand in car door, and 
b) a double  eye infection - possibly conjunctivitis - which I have been unable to shake off.


During a class today, my nose started bleeding for no good reason.

I can't wash my hair as I have the possible-broken-finger-thing and I have bags under my eyes from not sleeping (again) the size of which that can cause a lunar eclipse of some magnitude.

Note to reader: Wearing black doesn't enhance one's appearance when your face is already grey and ashen with under-eye bags and fatigue.  


A normally friendly and courteous colleague walked past me today and asked me why I looked like a bag of old potatoes.   


Sigh.


Will go to bed early and try and wear light colours tomorrow to hopefully reflect light off my under-eye-bags and make me look more cheerful. 

And although it has nothing to do with my outward appearance, I feel that I should mention that a dentist appointment awaits me to fix the two root canals gone wrong in each of my cheeks.  This discomfort and fear might reflect in my crazed red eyes by now though.


Some days you need to sit in the dark and just wait for the day to pass.


Mmmmm.

The scary part is that I have a feeling that I should rename this entry as 
'Lessons in Self-mutilation Chapter 1' as clumsiness has been with me now for a while...



Let's hope for a good ending to the horror story of today.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment