Thursday, January 22, 2015

State of the World

 
I wanted to pick up where I left off.
I'm back after last week and the murders in Paris.
Keep calm and carry on.
Where was I?


But there is a Muslim in my office!
DON'T SHOOT! I have a wife!
DON'T SHOOT!  We had an appointment for Wednesday at 12 o' clock!

 
He had been waiting since Wednesday.
Our mosques were threatened!  There was even a call to arms on Facebook by the PVV [ultra right-wingers] to burn the mosques!
Oh, now I know what it was all about.
You were scared.


 
How things can change in a few days' time!
Now I'm also scared!
Now everyone is scared!
HELP!
 
(Trouw, Tuesday 13 January 2015)
 
I don't understand how 'freedom of speech' equates 'freedom to insult', and why that is integral to democracy.
I'm not approving Islamic extremist action at all, but I can't approve of insulting an integral part of a large group's beliefs and very existence either. 
 
Not that my opinion matters.
I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things.
 
But whether you fight with insults or swords, you're still fighting.
And as a group, what is the added benefit of that?
 
 
.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment