Friday, March 22, 2013

C'est Le Weekend: Drop the (L)ego

I spoke to a colleague a while ago, and we talked about his 'transformation'.
He went from being unhappy in his previous job, to doing exactly what he loves doing, which is working with the students at our university.

He told me about 2 things that made a difference in his life:
1.  He learned to love everyone, and
2.  He let go of his ego.



I've experimented with difficult classes many years ago, telling myself how I loved each and every one of my students, and was then amazed at how well the day had gone.
Strange that this colleague should repeat the same thing.

And since we've spoken about Ego and letting that go, it just keeps making sense to me.
Because Ego really is an external locus of control.
It couldn't be internal (I think).  
Ego is looking good and being good in the eyes of others, isn't it?
You can't really boast about a big car or lots of money just to your mangy old self, now could you?

Well.
The husband's Volvo is being exchanged for a Mitsubishi eco-car at the end of the year, and secretly, I feel relieved that we won't be driving a Volvo anymore.
Even if it is just outward appearances meeting the inner world, which happens to be looks-like-a-rich-bitch-but-actually-has-no-money-this-month.
Sigh.
A mouthful!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment