Friday, February 22, 2013

C'est Le Weekend: Dipping Deep and Low

Yesterday I had a conversation with a Mindfulness coach / psychologist.  
He said I mentioned the word 'unfair' a number of times.  
(I hate it when they of more wisdom than I, do that).
We talked about how people get sick or things happening to kids or anyone innocent for that matter (which most of us are, I suppose).

I grew up in Reformed Protestant South Africa.
My parents weren't Bible-bashing people, but believed in God in their own way.
I no longer believe in God, at least I don't think I do, but I still think and hope that there is someone or something out there that we can petition when we are in trouble or need help.
Yet I still subscribe to that idea of fairness.  
Life has to be fair, right?
We were taught that we serve a just god, therefore the punishment and events in our lives must surely then also be deserved and fair?
Culture is based on the idea of fairness.
Judicial systems all over the world are based on the idea of fairness.
Punish the bad, reward the good.
You steal something in Bahrein and your hand gets chopped off.
You work hard in your job and you hopefully get promoted or praised.
We raise our kids this way.
But life is not fair.
Bad things happen all the time.
To good and bad alike.
Even Hitler must have done good deeds at some point in his life before he screwed it all up.

Rationally, I know this, even if it doesn't resound emotionally yet.
And lately, I'm more of the Buddhist-way-of-thinking that life is suffering, and the acceptance of that is the only way that could lessen that suffering.   
The Four Noble Truths.
But it doesn't mean that I like the suffering part.


I know that life, death, happiness, sadness, good, bad, pain and relief are part and parcel of living, and is an inevitable destiny for all those that wander this earth.
But I struggle to accept this fact.

Today, I struggle.  

 .

No comments:

Post a Comment